blueberry lemon sorbet

 photo scoop_zps9854e209.jpg

 photo icecreamfinal_zpsf3fdfbdf.jpg

A couple weeks ago, my friends and I went to a nearby orchard to go blueberry picking. I've never been before and I was surprised by how lovely the entire experience was.  It was the first day of the picking season, so a lot of the berries weren't ripe yet. They start off as tiny green orbs, and they slowly swell and deepen to that deep blue. When I went, the branches were laden with dusky clusters of green, pink, lilac, blue, and every shade in between. It had just rained (Central New York, what else is new?) and the sun was beaming, so everything was glittering with little jewels of water.

 photo 1_zps3ce33e1a.jpg

I wandered through the damp grass, filling up my bucket as much as I could, greedy hands popping berries into my mouth whenever no one was looking. I still can't get over how idyllic everything was—tart juices bursting from the berries in my mouth, shimmering blueberry bushes, pastel berries everywhere.


 photo 3_zpsab1ce54d.jpg

I mean, it was idyllic. Until the mosquitoes started to consume every part of my body, of course. By the time I called it quits, I think I had close to four or five pounds of blueberries. Absurd.

 photo 5_zps0831fd50.jpg

 photo 2_zps7bd466b6.jpg

 photo 4_zpsc4a704c9.jpg

Of course, that many fresh berries means summer desserts. And of course, the ice cream maker was being put to use again.

 photo 6_zpsdcd15ad0.jpg

Blueberry and lemon is one of my all time favorite combinations. It's a wonderful tart and sweet flavor that just reminds me of summer and barbecues with family friends. This light and fresh sorbet is the easiest thing to whip up, using only four ingredients. Just put everything into a blender and freeze. Seriously, it's that easy.

 photo 7_zps34f5ad9c.jpg


 photo 8_zps9c2eed8b.jpg

Blueberries, water, lemon, and honey all go into a blender together!

 photo 9_zpsd4ecbdaa.jpg


 photo 10_zpsea22ace8.jpg


 photo 11_zps4232ae27.jpg


 photo 12_zpsc662c170.jpg


 photo 13_zps033043a0.jpg


 photo 14_zps6227abae.jpg

Look at the color of the thing! It's the most intense shade of purple ever. I want a dress in this color. Not to mention the beautiful texture of the sorbet once it all freezes up—it's so impossibly creamy.

I've made this several times since and a tub of this sorbet is the perfect thing to come from work to.

 photo 15_zps80893d24.jpg


 photo vertfinal_zpscbe96aa3.jpg


Lemon Blueberry Sorbet
Adapted from Lacey

Makes 1 quart

2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
optional: extra lemon zest for garnish

Place all ingredients into blender (or food processor) and blend well.  Add more lemon juice and/or honey, depending on the tartness of your lemons and blueberries.  Transfer mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  If you don’t have an ice cream maker, just transfer mixture straight to the freezer and freeze for 3 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes for the first 2 hours.

Freeze in air-tight, freezer-safe container for at least 1 hour. If mixture is too solid when serving, let sit for 8-10 minutes at room temperature.